domingo, 30 de setembro de 2012

Left or Right - Could it be both?


The Uses of Right-Brain, Left-Brain Theory
     In 1981, the Nobel Prize in Physiology (or Medicine) was divided and one of its winners was Roger Wolcott Sperry (August 20, 1913 – April 17, 1994) for his discoveries concerning the functional specialization of the cerebral hemispheres. His split-brain researches contributed greatly to understanding the lateralization of brain function.
     Have you ever heard people saying that they tend to be or to do things more in this than in that way? So, according to the theory of left-brain or right-brain dominance, each side of our brain controls different characteristics, different types of thinking and although everybody uses the two hemispheres, one predominates over the other. 
     Some of the abilities that are popularly associated with the right side of the brain include:
being passionate, expressing emotions, music, color, images, intuition, creativity. On the other hand, the left-side of the brain is associated with other abilities, such as: language, logic, critical thinking, numbers, reasoning. Knowing which one is your predominant side could be very helpful, because understanding your strengths and weaknesses in certain areas can help you develop better ways to learn and study. For example, according to the educator Kendra Cherry in her article written to about.com.psychology, the students who have a difficult time following verbal instructions (often cited as a right-brain characteristic) can benefit from writing down directions and developing better organizational skills.
Felipe and his twin brother, Bruno - both are scientifically musical.
     But can both sides work together to enhance our abilities at the same time? Can people be very good at left-brain and right-brain abilities? The answer is a huge YES. Logic (from the left side) and music (from the right side) has been working together for a long time, it has being connected to the scientific temperament. The 18th century French mathematician Joseph Louis Lagrange proclaimed that he work best to the sound of music. Einstein’s vocational devotion to the violin is legendary. And we can have some very good examples at our school - the teachers from the exact subjects are the most music gifted, for example, teachers Dilza (Physics) and Rose (Math) sing very well, teacher Felipe (Physics) plays classic guittar so beautifully and teacher Wagner (Chemistry) sings and also plays guitar very well. Recent research has shown that abilities in subjects such as math are actually strongest when both halves of the brain work together. You can read about it here. So, being left-brained or right-brained is just a detail, the most important is keeping your brain thinking positively, working and being healthy. it was made to be used...well used, by the way!

Post Question: According to your opinion, are you right or left brained? Why? Which are your talent(s)? Which talent(s) don't you have but, if you could, you would like to have?

Tip: Are you sure about your characteristics? Are you left-brained or right-brained? If you want to know, try to do this test and get your result.

17 comentários:

Anônimo disse...

Larissa Clemente Fernandes 2°E nº 16

Hey teacher!. Well I did the text and, as I put in the answer in my exam, I'm right-brained! I think I'm creative, I like to imagine new places that doesn't exist, I like to imagine new stories beginning with "Once Upon A Time", when I need to express what I'm feeling I use music, or dance or something like this. I can't see myself in the future working in a lab or something, I see myself travelling around the world and making the other people smile. I use a lot my feelings and intuitions to resolve problems. Here it says that there are some occupations that a right-brained can do (and probably be well succeed) and one of them is something that I always wanted to do since I was a little girl.

Anônimo disse...

D: teacher,
i give up x.x
my test was a farce T.T
i thought i'm left brained but according the online test i'm not... D:
sad so sad,
nothing more make sense, but who knows someday i'll be able to overcome that...
okay, it was really dramatic, but now i'm confuse... .-.
but i yet love math and logical problems, and nothing will change it u.u

----------------------------------

D: teacher,
eu desisto x.x
minha prova foi uma farsa T.T
eu pensei que era "left-brained", mas segundo o teste on-line eu não sou ... D:
triste muito triste,
nada mais faz sentido, mas quem sabe um dia seja capaz de superar isso ...
Tá, isso foi meio dramático, mas agora estou confuso .-.
mas eu ainda amo matematica e problemas de logica, e nada vai mudar isso u.u

Monari 2ºE nº20

Kátia Veloso disse...

Dear Monari!
Don't worry! I'm absolutely sure that both sides of your brain are working pretty well together...that's the reason why you thought about one side and your test gave you another result! You're a great student, a really good one...I just hope you keep on being this good student today, next year and after high school too.

Unknown disse...

Larissa S. Lazaro nº37 2ºE
Hey teacher!
Na minha prova eu havia colocado o lado direito como dominante, no entando o teste revelou que eu seria 52% do lado esquerdo e 48% do lado direito. Logo comecei a pensar que deveria haver algo errado, que eu havia errado o teste ou qualquer coisa do tipo, então refiz o teste e obtive o seguinte resultado: 44% lado esquerdo e 56% lado direito.
E agora me sinto melhor sabendo que de certa forma acertei na prova o que eu era sem nunca ter parado para pensar no assunto;
Oh yeah! This is amazing!
Thanks teacher a lot!
Obs: I did again the test with helping of Google Translation

Kátia Veloso disse...

Hi Larissa! It also happened with Monari! But don't worry! You know, there isn't the right or wrong answer. The most important thing is that we could take some time off our routine to think about our attitudes and behaviour. Learning about ourselves (or at last trying to know) is a great step to have a good quality life. Keep on doing the good work! Thanks.

Anônimo disse...

Taline 2E
Hi Teacher, i did the test but now, i'm very confused. In my english test I put, because i thought, I was more right-brained . But in the creative test my results was 52 % left and 48% right . So now I'm happy because I'm able to do both things. This test can be like one incentive for the people which have negative thinking about something :)

Kátia Veloso disse...

I think you're right! It just means that you can use both side in a very practical way! Just perfect! So, we have a great responsability of using our very creative and logical sides in a very positive and good way! Thank you!

Anônimo disse...

Amanda 2E

O teste confirmou o que eu pus na prova. Mas me deixou um pouco surpreso pois falou que eu sou so 56% do lado direito,achei que fosse mais... Enfim deu tbm q minha caracterista mais dominante do lado esquerdo é pensamento sequencial e o menos é lógico (prova de matematica confirma).
Do lado direito a mais dominante é fantasia orientado e a menos aleatório.
Adorei o teste sora bjos.

Matheus Messias disse...

Hello teacher Katia!
On my test I've put that the both sides of my brain works together with the same intensity. And I'm right! My test result is: 53% Left side of Brain and 47% Right side of Brain.
Although all use two sides with the same intensity, I don't have a dominant side.
I'm right handed, but I play drums reversed. I'm right handed, but I'm like "goofy" (right foot in front) on the skateboard. I'm right handed, but my left punch in boxing is stronger.
In psychology, I have good logic and while creativity to write love letters. Also defects: Terrible in interpreting symbols and see something concretist.
Thank you! Bye bye.
MESSIAS, Matheus Gomes - 2ºE E.M. (EG)

Anônimo disse...

Hello Teacher. On the test I put that I'm more left brained than right, and the test confirmed this, i took 52% left and 48% right, its good, cause what i tought was right, and the test shows that i'm able to use both sides. Haha. It's cool do that things, different and make us think about things that we like to do, and things that we can do.
Kisses, Leticia Cristina - 2E

Unknown disse...

Dear Teacher,
As I've put in my test, the creativity test confirmed that I am left brained, more logical, related to math and science, which is something I realy enjoyed!
Nonetheless, I also enjoyed the fact that the difference between one side and another is not so far, only by 6%, which showed me the relation of what I like, like the outher space; and what are my hobbies, like listening or playing music, reading, etc.
Thanks for the test, it was very interesting!
Hugs, Felipe Biondi 2ºE EM.

Anônimo disse...

Hey Miss Katia. IDK but this test said i am 47% right side n' 53% left side. I thought I was more left side. I am just a litle upset right now, but well I trust more in me than the in the test ( no offense).
Thanks. See ya. Rômulo Azzi 2E EM

vitorio_celandroni disse...

teacher... in the test, I wrote that I am more right-brained, and the test result proved that I am more right-brained, the result is: 36% left-brained and 64% right-brained.
Vitório Neto Nº35 2°E

vitorio_celandroni disse...

teacher... in the test, I wrote that I am more right-brained, and the test result proved that I am more right-brained, the result is: 36% left-brained and 64% right-brained.
Vitório Neto Nº35 2°E

Anônimo disse...

hi teacher

yeah Im more right brained than left, but i know that I use a lot of both, because I love art, theatre music criative things, and other things but I'm logical, love make lists but a really don't like numbers.
I'm 55% Right and 45% left
I love this test =)

Leticia Lago 2°E

Anônimo disse...

Amanda Scapin Nº01 2anoE

Oi professora, então o meu teste deu conforme o que eu respondi na prova, deu 54% right brain e 46% left brain, mas fiquei surpresa, pois achei que daria mais right brain! No resultado ele diz que eu sou inovadora e criativa, são dois pontos fundamentais pro curso que eu quero fazer na faculdade, arquitetura e design, porém diz que eu posso me dar bem na arte, música, teatro e etc.. não me vejo muito nisso!

Um beijo

Diego disse...

Diego Oliveira nº 06 2º E
Teatcher !! Eu fiz o teste como pedido e tive uma crise de identidade pois deu 54% do lado direito e 36% lado esquerdo. E em sua prova eu coloquei que o meu lado dominante era o esquerdo... não faço ideia do que fazer kkkk